Public Awareness about Protected Areas in Shkoder
SSupported by EU funds and coordinated by ALCDF. [Aug 2016 - Aug 2017] Shkoder district has made significant progress in expanding its network of Protected Areas (PA) of 3.2% of the territory in 2005 to 25% in 2015. About 80% of this natural heritage is the wetlands areas:
- Shkoder Lake
- Buna River - Velipoje ‘both categories’ natural reserves managed and RAMSAR (international convention on wetlands and biodiversity)
They belong to two neighboring municipalities of Shkoder and Malesi e Madhe.
Date:August 2016 - July 2017
The deterioration of natural ecosystems comes from the nature itself, such as climate change and mainly the anthropogenic impacts: rapid urbanization by converting the land from natural to urban, by building infrastructure such as BYPASS, cutting trees, waste disposal etc. The second one is linked directly to our objectives, as our main goal is raising public awareness of the inhabitants and decision makers about the ecosystems in Shkoder region (protected areas).
- Preserve the rich biodiversity in these areas
- Promote the sustainable ecotourism as the zones contain high economical and social opportunities to develop this sector.
- Newspaper VIJA on environmental issues in general
- Series of programs at one of the local TV and radio stations
- Three informative meetings between inhabitants – decision makers and stakeholders, education for young generations of elementary school and University
- Promotion materials etc.